Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Knock, Knock!!

A knock sounds at the front door and the kettle is boiling….

I wrote my first post in this blog September 24th, 2008. At the time I blogged solely for myself. Through the next year and a half I  honed my skills, learned a great deal about shooting pics on location, reviewing for designers, attending sales and so many things I could never mention them all. I have gone to fashion shows, multiple fairs and had the privilege to meet and talk to a whole host of talented people. I have seen my share of drama but rarely commented on it and generally gotten more out of blogging than I have put into it. I have learned about editing my work, writing and even the fact that you don’t need very expensive programs to be creative within SL.

I started to learn the process which designers use to create clothes, skins and other items for sale within this virtual world. Second Life can be an all consuming passion, and while I blogged I realized that the demands of this world cannot supersede real life concerns.  I knew one day, real life might come calling and I wondered how I would respond to it. I have seen many farewell posts from people too busy to blog, design or be in SL any more. I have always felt sad about this but hopeful as well, as one chapter ends, a new and exciting chapter can begin.

Therefore this is not a farewell post. I am not going anywhere but it is with some regret that I must set aside the review side of blogging, at least for a while. This is not for any reasons of discontent or dislike for the process. On the contrary, if my skills as a blogger have improved I hold reviewing in large part responsible. This type of blogging requires one to be self disciplined, organized and creative. I have thoroughly enjoyed blogging skins, reviewing fairs and trying new looks which maybe aren’t my style but challenge my views. A very wise designer once said to me “ Don’t ever feel you have to blog an item or apologize for being late..” That’s not me I’m afraid. I value the relationships I have built in SL, with our designers too much,to continue to receive items gratis if I cannot promise that I will be able to blog them. Now that I am working full time and spending the rest of my time taking care of my family, I do not have the energy to put in the hours that my style of blogging requires.

I love blogging too much to say goodbye and for me it is something totally mine, a little bit of sanity in a sometimes insane world. I don’t know what the future will bring, I like to think that there is always something new to learn and that moving out of one’s comfort zone can be a very good thing. At the same time …SL and blogging is my cup of tea.

A knock sounds at the front door and the kettle is boiling….

No comments: